Alternative Land Use Services (ALUS) has a simple, yet revolutionary goal…create a healthy landscape that sustains agriculture, wildlife and natural spaces for all Canadians.
ALUS is a community-developed, farmer-delivered program that provides support to farmers and ranchers to enhance and maintain nature’s benefits.
- ALUS puts local communities at the centre of conservation policy.
- ALUS engages farmers and ranchers as environmental partners on the working landscape.
- ALUS creates benefits from nature for everyone, such as: clean water, clean air, erosion and flood control, as well as habitat for pollinators, fish and wildlife.
- Community-developed – Developed by local communities to be flexible and respect local agricultural and environmental priorities.
- Farmer-delivered – Farmers and ranchers are in the best position to deliver nature’s benefits on their land.
- Targeted – Select marginal or ecologically sensitive parcels of land are managed in a different manner to produce nature’s benefits.
- Market Driven – Benefits from nature produced by project activities have economic value.
- Voluntary – Farmers and ranchers choose to participate and have flexible agreements that suit their operation.
- Integrated – Delivery will complement existing conservation programs including federal and provincial government policy frameworks.
- Accountable – Projects are independently monitored and audited.
- Science-based – Social, economic and environmental sciences guide program development and implementation.
SUSTAINING AGRICULTURE, WILDLIFE AND NATURAL SPACES FOR ALL CANADIANS – ONE ACRE AT A TIME